Waste disposal and recycling
Here, you will find some useful tips on waste disposal and recycling.
Sorting out waste items:
Sort all household waste, even packaging and soft plastic. Put only small burnable waste items in your refuse bin.
- Vegetable peelings, fruit, teabags, leftover food, dish
brushes, q-tips, small plastic toys (without batteries or
cables), post it notes, envelopes, dishcloths, rags
Prepare waste items for recycling:
- Rinse, wash and dry items for recycling
- Clean plastic film wrap with kitchen paper
- Empty plastic tubes of toothpaste, skin cream or food as much as possible, then close the lid/cap
- Remove plastic and metal bottle caps and lids, and sort these with plastic and metal packaging
Sell or give away unwanted items:
Even when you have finished with something, someone else will often be able to use it. Why not sell it or give it to a secondhand shop.
Local recycling stations and recycling centres
Here you will find the difference between a local recycling station and a recycling center.
The local recycling stations are located close to you, the recycling centres are in Björnhyttan and Fredriksberg.
At local recycling stations (återvinningsstationer):
You can deposit small household items that can be recycled.
- Hard and soft plastic packaging – plastic pots, plasti bottles, trays, plastic bags, clear plastic bags, bubble wrap, plastic film, plastic tubes
- Paper packaging – drink packaging, household and toilet paper rolls, cardboard boxes, bags, corrugated cardboard
- Metal packaging – holders for candles and torches, foil, aluminum, caviar tubes, bottle caps and lids, empty aerosol cans
- Glass packaging – separate out clear and coloured glass items
- Newspapers and printed matter – newspapers, publicity materials, advertising, catalogues
At recycling centres (återvinningscentraler):
You can deposit other household waste, free of charge.
- Wood, plastic, concrete, cement, plasterboard, pallets, ink cartridges, bricks, earthenware, pottery, porcelain, glass, ceramics
- Electrical goods, anything with cords, batteries and electrical fittings, even light bulbs
- Scrap metal for example bicycles, lawnmowers (with empty petrol tank), gutters, saucepans
- Anything that is heavy, bulky or hazardous
Ludvika’s municipal recycling centres are in Björnhyttan and Fredriksberg. For opening hours see www.wbab.se or telephone customer services on 0240-309 90 or Björnhyttan on 0240-309 70.
Dispose of hazardous waste items safely
Hazardous waste items have contents which are harmful to health and environment.
Here are some examples of hazardous waste: Paint, polish, glue, soluble paint, solvents, detergents, pesticide (weed killer), oil waste, corrosive chemicals, whole or base acids, aerosol cans, batteries, mercurial materials, glycol, asbestos.
- Don’t mix different sorts of hazardous waste
- Always enclose asbestos waste in plastic
- Don’t throw hazardous waste in your household rubbish. Leave it at the recycling centre or telephone customer services 0240-309 90. Hazardous waste (chemicals) can be collected from the homes of residents living in the municipality, free of charge. This service is called “Ring så hämtar vi"
- Wrap hazardous waste well. Mark the waste clearly with its contents or “unknown”
You can hand in left over or unused medicine to the pharmacy.
Use the pharmacy’s special transparent bag when you hand the medicine in, and the “safe-clip” when leaving discarded cannulas and needles at the pharmacy.
Waste and sewage
Here are some useful tips when it comes to waste and sewage:
- Don’t pour cooking fat down the drain or into the sewer. Fat solidifies and causes unnecessary blockages
- Collect fat, margarine and oil in an empty milk carton and place it in the refuse container. Or soak up cooking fat with kitchen paper before you wash cooking pans under running water
- Always have a rubbish bin by the toilet
- Don’t use the toilet as a dustbin/garbage can
Don’t flush down:
- Q-tips, bandages, tampons, panty liners, napkins, nappies (diapers)
- Paper other than toilet paper
- Cat litter, string, cord, wire, paper clips, cotton, socks and underwear, etc
- Solvent (thinner, chlorine, photographic chemicals, petrol and oil)
- Cigarette butts and ash
- Nail varnish remover, acetone, paint remover
Heavy or bulky items:
- Furniture, bicycles, pushchairs and prams, electrica goods, refrigerator, freezer, white goods, larger packaging, building and garden waste, hazardous waste
If you can’t take heavy or bulky items to the recycling centre, we can collect these from you. There is a charge for this service.
Sort, wrap and package or bundle/tie heavy and bulky items.
- Everything that has cords or batteries or electrical fittings, for example light bulbs are electrical waste (lightbulbs can also be left at grocery stores)
- Bicycles, lawnmowers (with empty petrol tank), gutters, saucepans
- Everything that can be reused or recycled
- Window glass, mirrors, porcelain, drinking glasses, ceramics, bricks
Burnable heavy waste:
- Furniture, larger toys, mattresses
- Timber, wooden furniture, stools, heavy branches, twigs
Composting or chipping:
- Garden waste, grass clippings, twigs
Businesses and other activities should leave their waste at Björnhyttan. Charges for this service will be invoiced.
- Do recycle fat.
- Do save smaller amounts of fat. After it has solidified, it can be collected in a plastic container or milk carton and placed in the rubbish bin.
- Don’t rinse or flush oil or deep frying fat down the drain.
Contact customer services for more information on telephone 0240-309 90.
Sidan uppdaterades: 2019-05-27